Events are central to Inngest, and represent activity in both your systems and 3rd party systems. They trigger workflows, update contacts, and offer complete insight into your business.
Events power everything at Inngest. We ingest events from your own systems, your third party services, and from your websites. Events allow us to trigger workflows, aggregate your user data, segment users, and provide insights into your systems.
What are events?
Events are payloads which capture any activity from your own applications (frontend, server, or mobile) and from your partner services (eg. Stripe, Zendesk, GitHub).
For example, you may trigger an event when:
- A user signs up (
- A user purchases a product or subscription (
- A customer replies to customer support (
An example event may look like this:
"comment": "Thanks for sending me the return label!",
This event references a ticket being updated with some ticket data (
status), user data (
This event format is standard across our systems. It allows us to extract:
- The event name, to distinguish between events
- Event data, which can be referenced in your workflows
- User information, allowing us to show you a 360 view of your contacts entire history
You can send us events using:
- The ingest API, via a single HTTP POST or our SDKs
- Third party integrations
- Infrastructure integrations
For more information, view the event source documentation.